Coalition of Peaks Annual Meeting – wrap-up
More than 70 representatives of the Coalition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peak Organisations (Coalition of Peaks, Peaks) met in Naarm on 4-5 May 2022.
Peaks Members discussed priorities for an incoming government. Our key priority is a meeting with the next government, after the election outcome to secure ongoing commitment to the Partnership Agreement and the National Agreement on Closing the Gap.
We’re calling on the government to:
- Meet with Coalition of Peaks representatives as a matter of priority.
- Commit the necessary funding to implement the Partnership Agreement and the National Agreement on Closing the Gap.
- Agree that the progress that has been made to change the way in which Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people work with governments in partnership and share-decision making cannot be lost.
- Understand that with just 8 years left in the National Agreement, areas where work has slowed or stalled must be addressed.
- Ensure that other mechanisms to elevate Indigenous voices don’t come at the expense of the work of the Peaks and the Partnership.
Other priorities identified include:
- more Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisations in certain sectors
- more accountability
- capture and use of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander data; and
- equality of power between government partners and the Peaks.